Below is a listing of resources to help you prepare for Windows Server 2008.
Windows Server 2008 Step-by-Step Guides
These step-by-step guides help IT Professionals learn about and evaluate Windows Server 2008.
System Requirements and Installation Documentation for Windows Server 2008 Release Candidate
Release documentation containing known issues for the Microsoft Windows Server 2008 operating system.
How Microsoft IT is Providing an Improved Web and Applications Platform with Internet Information Services 7.0 in Windows Server 2008
Learn about some of the new benefits and features in Internet Information Services 7.0 on Windows Server 2008 as experienced during the deployment of IIS 7.0 as the Web and application platform for Microsoft.com.
Group Policy Preferences Overview
This white paper introduces Group Policy preferences, a feature new in Microsoft Windows Server 2008, and describes how you can use Group Policy preferences to better deploy and manage operating system and application settings.
Windows Server 2008 Technical Overviews
These technical overviews provide IT Professionals with information about how a Windows Server 2008 technology works.
Volume Activation 2.0 Technical Guidance
Technical documentation for planning, deployment, and operations of Volume Activation 2.0 for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008. Includes the Volume Activation 2.0 Overview, Planning Guide, Deployment Guide, Operations Guide, Resources, and FAQ, and Standard User Product Activation zip file.
Network and Sharing Center Operations Guide
Network and Sharing Center is your main portal into the networking components of Windows. The features in Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 provide services to view, configure, and troubleshoot network access.
Windows Server 2008 Component Posters
Windows Server 2008 Component Posters, originally printed in the July 2007 issue of TechNet Magazine.
Enhanced Network Performance with Microsoft Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008
Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 include new features in the TCP/IP stack that enhance network performance.
Windows Server 2008 Security Guide
The Windows Server 2008 Security Guide helps organizations efficiently create, deploy, and maintain a secure environment for a variety of servers running Windows Server 2008, the next major release of Windows Server.
Windows Server 2008 Resources
Learn about using Windows Server 2008 with these resources and documentation.
Browse Server Fundamentals
Browse Server Roles
Upcoming Windows2008 Webcasts: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/webcasts.mspx#EIB
On Demand Windows 2008 Webcasts: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/webcasts.mspx#EQC
TechNet Podcast: An Interview with Bill Staples on Windows Server 2008 Web and Application Platforms
TechNet Podcast: An Interview with Bob Visse on the Benefits of Windows Server 2008 Features
TechNet Podcast: An Interview with Bryon Surace on Windows Server Virtualization Scenarios and Architecture
TechNet Podcast: An Interview with Iain McDonald on Windows Server 2008 Fundamentals
TechNet Webcast Audio: A Technical Overview of Windows Server 2008 Terminal Services (Level 200)
TechNet Webcast Audio: Configure and Manage Windows Server 2008 Using Server Manager (Level 300)
TechNet Webcast Audio: Examining Virtualization with Windows Server 2008 (Level 300)
TechNet Webcast Audio: Expand Your Simulation Capacity with FLUENT Software and Windows Compute Cluster Server (Level 200)
TechNet Webcast Audio: Extending Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Management with Windows Features (Level 300)
TechNet Webcast Audio: New Tools to Streamline the Imaging and Deployment Process in Windows Server 2008 (Level 300)
TechNet Webcast Audio: Next-Generation Networking with Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 (Level 300)
TechNet Webcast Audio: Next-Generation Networking with Windows Vista and Windows Server Code Named "Longhorn" (Level 300)
TechNet Webcast Audio: Overview of Server Manager and Windows PowerShell in Windows Server "Longhorn" (Level 300)
TechNet Webcast Audio: Planning and Deploying the Branch Office Technologies in Windows Server 2003 (Level 200)
TechNet Webcast Audio: Public Key Infrastructure Enhancements in Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 (Level 200)
TechNet Webcast Audio: Remote Infrastructure Improvements in Windows Server 2008 (Level 300)
TechNet Webcast Audio: Running a Minimal Windows Server 2008 Environment with Server Core (Level 200)
Free Windows Server 2008 e-book offer and Microsoft Press newsletter
This e-book includes excerpts from two recent publications from Microsoft Press:
• Introducing Windows Server 2008 by Mitch Tulloch with the Microsoft Windows Server Team (ISBN: 9780735624214) This e-book covers Windows Server virtualization, managing Windows Server 2008, Active Directory, Terminal Services, and failover clustering.
• Microsoft Windows PowerShell Step by Step by Ed Wilson (ISBN: 9780735623958) This e-book includes an overview of Windows PowerShell, using Windows PowerShell cmdlets, and leveraging PowerShell providers.
Additional chapters from Introducing Windows Server 2008 will be added periodically, so be sure to come back and read more from expert Mitch Tulloch and the Windows Server team.
Register to get the free e-book offer, and sign up for the Microsoft Press Book Connection newsletter.
Microsoft Official E-Learning courses for Windows Server 2008 provide a simple and effective way to learn at your own pace and on your own schedule.
• Learn more about the Microsoft Official E-Learning courses for Windows Server 2008
• Collection 5934: Introducing Windows Server 2008—free for a limited time! This online learning collection of clinics introduces the new features and functionality in Windows Server 2008. The clinics cover server virtualization, security and policy management, branch office management, centralized application access, and server management. You can take the entire collection of clinics, or just the clinics that interest you.
• Clinic 5935: Introducing Server Virtualization in Windows Server 2008
• Clinic 5936: Introducing Security and Policy Management in Windows Server 2008
• Clinic 5937: Introducing Branch Office Management in Windows Server 2008
• Clinic 5938: Introducing Centralized Application Access in Windows Server 2008
• Clinic 5939: Introducing Server Management in Windows Server 2008
• Collection 6041: Upgrading Your Windows Server 2003 MCSE Technical Skills to Windows Server 2008
Get a head start on Windows Server 2008. Now is the time to upgrade your technical skills on Windows Server 2008 with Microsoft E-Learning Collection 6041, including access to virtual labs.