The Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit (or MAP) is the next-generation version of the agent-less assessment platform from Microsoft. In this new version, MAP has expanded its capabilities into assessment areas of Hyper-V server virtualization, desktop security, and SQL 2008 migration. In summary, MAP 3.1 assessment areas now include:
· Server Migration Reports and Proposals (Windows Server 2008)
· Server Consolidation Reports and Proposals (Virtual Server 2005 R2 and Hyper-V) (NEW!)
· Desktop Security Assessment to determine if desktops have anti-virus and anti-malware programs installed or if the Windows Firewall is turned on (NEW!)
· Application Virtualization Assessment Reports (Microsoft Application Virtualization, formerly SoftGrid)
· SQL 2008 Migration Assessment Reports (NEW!)
· Windows Vista and Microsoft Office 2007 Hardware Assessment Reports and Proposals
The Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit performs three key functions - including hardware and device inventory, compatibility analysis, and readiness reporting.
MAP is based upon an agent-less infrastructure scanning technology that allows users to conduct a network inventory of their servers, desktops, applications, and devices - all without installing any software agents on each machine being assessed. This tool has the ability to discover machines within Active-Directory managed domains and forests as well as workgroups.
With the new user interface and enterprise-scale inventory engine, users can generate multiple technology migration reports and proposals for their OS migration and virtualization projects in a matter of hours.