I recently helped a customer with an issue where they were calling ConfigureMsgService and that call was failing, returning an HRESULT of MAPI_E_INVALID_PARAMETER (0x80070057). After debugging it, we established that the reason that ConfigureMsgService was failing was that the PR_PROFILE_HOME_SERVER_ADDRS property was missing from the profile. Outlook seemed to work fine, logons worked, sending mail worked; it was just that ConfigureMsgService would fail. We tried recreating the profile, but still the property wasn’t being set on the profile.

It turns out that PR_PROFILE_HOME_SERVER_ADDRS gets its value from PR_EMS_AB_NETWORK_ADDRESS, which in turn, gets its value from the networkAddress attribute on the server object in Active Directory. That value was set correctly, but permissions to that object were not. After following the requirements laid out on technet for permissions to AD objects, we determined that the Authenticated Users group was missing the ACL for Read All Properties on the server object. Once we set that permission and recreated the profile, the property was set correctly on the profile and ConfigureMsgService started succeeding.