The Visual Studio Team System team recently announced the availability of a brand new product in the Team System family. First there were Architect, Developer, and Tester editions, now Database Professionals have their own flavor of VSTS!
Visual Studio Team Edition for Database Professionals includes a number of great new features:
· A new Visual Studio Database Project allows you to import your database schema and place it under source control. When the time comes to deploy schema changes the new project system allows you to quickly build update scripts or packages and then provides a mechanism to deploy them to the database of our choice.
· Rename Refactoring allows you to easily rename any object in your database and be assured that all references to that object will be renamed to correspond to the change
· A New T-SQL Editor allows you to be more productive when writing T-SQL code from within Visual Studio including support for parallel execution of queries and viewing of execution plans.
· SchemaCompare allows you to quickly compare the schema of two databases (or your source controlled project and a database) and script updates to bring the database schemas into sync
· DataCompare allows you to quickly compare two databases and script updates to bring the data in these databases into sync
· The Database Unit Testing infrastructure allows you to create database unit tests using T-SQL or managed code.
· DataGenerator lets you create data generation plans that produce repeatable sets of meaningful data based upon your existing production databases that can be deployed to a database prior to running unit tests thus ensuring consistent test results
You can find out more about the new version, see screenshots and find out how to get the early community technology preview which will be available on June 11th at http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/teamsystem/products/dbpro/default.aspx
The team has already started blogging. You can find out more information directly from the product team by visiting the following blogs:
The Database Professional edition of Visual Studio was announced back in June. It adds a set of key tools