With the release of the SQL Server 2008 R2 November, we have simplified the SQL Server Express (all editions and package) installation process. In this release, we have completed the following:
Available Express editions for download:
Express Package If your system is? If your system is? If your system is? Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 Express X86 X64 WOW64 Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 Express with Tools X86 X64 . Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 Express with Advanced Services X86 X64 . Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 Management Studio Express X86 X64 .
If your system is?
Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 Express
Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 Express with Tools
Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 Express with Advanced Services
Below I show the steps to install SQL Server 2008 R2 Express.
1. Launch the package, you will then see the contents extracted to a temporary location.
2. SQL Server Setup checks to determine pre-reqs are installed. If not, you will be prompted to install.
3. The Installation Center will then launch. Click on “New installation or add feature to an existing installation” to start the Installation Wizard.
4. Accept the license terms.
5. Review the features to installed and where SQL Server will be installed. Make any changes that are necessary for your environment.
6. Review the Instance Name and change if necessary.
7. Review the credentials that will be used for the services that will be created.
8. Review the Authentication Mode and the administrators that will be added to the Database Engine.
9. Review the Error Reporting settings. We encourage you to keep this option checked, as we review the product feedback on an ongoing basic. This helps us to continually improve SQL Server.
10. That’s it!
If you have further questions or feedback, you have a few options: