Server Core is a minimal installation option for Windows Server and is available with the following Windows Server editions:
· Windows Server 2008 R2 Web Edition
· Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition
· Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition
· Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter Edition
Server Core system deployments provide significant benefits within an Enterprise network including:
· Reduced Server Attack Surface
· Reduced Management and Patching Requirements
Windows Server 2008 R2 Server Core introduces support for subsets of the 2.0/3.0/3.5 .NET Framework in addition to a number of other new optional features and roles. These additions extend the role of Server Core system deployments to not only enterprise network service hosting but also to application hosting. The Framework additions make it possible to run an almost full-featured version of ASP.NET as well as Windows PowerShell. Application Developers should ensure their Enterprise Solutions integrate well with the Server Core deployment environment.
Take a tour of Server Core application development scenarios via MSDN Channel9 and find detailed samples on MSDN Code Gallery.