Now that VSTA has RTM’d (See KD Hallman’s announcement at http://blogs.msdn.com/vsta ) I would like to call out all of the great features of VSTA. You can see some of these features in action today as part of InfoPath 2007. Just install InfoPath 2007, open a form and press Alt-Shift-F12. The VSTA IDE will open and you can easily add your VB or C# macro code behind the form. I can also follow the walkthrough in my MSDN article to learn more about VSTA.
Leverages the innovative Visual Studio (VS) toolset
1. Multi-language support – VB and C# 2. Macro Recoding 3. Windows Forms designer4. IntelliSense & Code Tasks5. End-user debugging features: breakpoints, watch/auto/locals windows
Supports connected systems development
6. Web services-based development7. Fully leverages the .NET Framework8. Running and debugging 32-bit and 64-bit add-ins9. Running partial trusted add-ins10. Client and Server programming11. Common VSTA/VSTO runtime architecture for seamless up-leveling of solutions
Graduated host integration capabilities – "use what you need when you need it"
12. Low barrier to entry – get started in about two days13. Add more functionality as desired/needed over time14. Runs side x side with VBA
15. Simplifies loading and unloading of add-ins16. Ability to manage application domain creation17. Host defined discovery and qualification supporting repository based scenarios
VSTA SDK includes
18. Redistributable VS based IDE and Runtime19. Integration tools20. Help documentation, Samples and walk throughs