In this post we are going to explore User Profiles by extending the Organizational Hierarchy in MOSS. I've posted in Codeplex both installer and code for the Organizational Chart Hierarchy web part. This post will only discuss installation and configuration. I will discuss the code in posts to come.
What this webpart does:
This web part reads and analyzes the user profiles in MOSS and creates a full hierarchical organizational chart. See screenshot below:
What I need to make it work:
1. It requires MOSS (Microsoft Office Sharepoint Server) 2007.
2. It requires you have imported profiles from you AD.
3. In order to have the hierarchy displayed correctly you have to include managerial and department information for all users who have manager (see the example in the snapshot below).
4. You have to edit the departmentconfig.xml file if you want links to the department sites. After the install, this file normally is found at: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS\OrgChartPart\. This file is only available after the install is complete.
5. Just edit, add or delete <Mapping Department="[Department Name As in Profile]">[url]</Mapping> entries as appropriate. The mapping must be exact. As the example below (this entry is case sensitive):
1. Download the latest release here: http://www.codeplex.com/orgchartpart/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=15590 and save in a folder you will remember later (eg. c:\downloads).
2. Go to MOSS Bin folder, commonly at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\BIN
3. Run the following commands from the command prompt when logged as farm administrator (assuming the .wsp file is in C:\Downloads):
stsadm -o addsolution -filename c:\downloads\OrgChartPart.wspstsadm -o deploysolution -name c:\downloads\OrgChartPart.wsp -allowgacdeployment -immediatestsadm -o execadmsvcjobs
4. Go to the shared services provider you use for personalization in Central Administration.
5. Choose Personalization services permission under User Profiles and My Sites.
6. Make sure NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users has "Personal Features" and "Personal Site" rights.
7. Go to the site collection you want to include the web part (eg. http:/myweb).
8. Go to Site Actions | Site Settings | Modify All Site Settings
9. Go to Site Collection Features under Site Collection Administration
10. Activate Org chart Web Part
11. Verify if OrgChartPart is available in the Web Part Gallery of the Site Collection (Site Actions | Site Settings | Galleries | WebParts)
12. Add the web part wherever you want in a page
13. Make sure you adjust the web part to render correctly: