Web Analytics reports are pre-built reports in Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 that use usage data to analyze various aspects of sites and site collections. But when things break down, it’s not always obvious how to troubleshoot the various moving pieces. The following steps should help you find the barrier as you follow the flow from the .Usage files on the web front ends (WFEs) into the LoggingDB and then on to the StagingDB and ReportingDB for the Web Analytics Service Application.
1. Verify that the Usage and Health Data Collection Service Application and its Proxy both show Started from Central Admin -> Application Management -> Manage Service Applications
2. Verify that the .USAGE files are being generated on the WFE(s)
3. Verify that the SharePoint Logging database (LoggingDB) contains current information
4. Verify the usage information is not exceeding the daily partition size for the LoggingDB
5. Verify the data is successfully extracted from the LoggingDB into the StagingDB
6. Verify the time that data was last copied from the StagingDB to the ReportingDB and the last time that data was successfully aggregated in the ReportingDB.
7. If all else fails, turn up the ULS levels for the Web Analytics Services category (Central Admin -> Monitoring -> Configure Diagnostic Logging) and look for errors. A good place to start is ~2am as this is when the Reports get refreshed (and I'm unfortunately not aware of any way to configure the time of this refresh)
Additional Resources: Introducing Web Analytics in SharePoint 2010http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ecm/archive/2010/03/21/introducing-web-analytics-in-sharepoint-2010.aspx Configure usage and health data collection (SharePoint Server 2010)http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee663480.aspx Configure Web Analytics service application (SharePoint Server 2010)http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg266382.aspx Capacity requirements for the Web Analytics Shared Service in SharePoint Server 2010 (see "Architectural Overview" section)http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg440601.aspx Monitoring overview (SharePoint Server 2010) http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee748636.aspx Description of the SharePoint Server 2010 hotfix package (June 2010 CU) http://support.microsoft.com/?id=2204024 Disclaimer:ALL information in this blog is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights. This blog does not represent the thoughts, intentions, plans or strategies of my employer. All content is solely my opinion and provided with a best effort to be based in reality. All examples, code samples, demonstrations, or anything resembling a “how-to” are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose. Inappropriate comments will be deleted at the authors discretion.