Sometimes, you may get the above error while trying to activate the installed custom feature in your SharePoint server.
Error message says you are trying to install a feature with an invalid scope; there are certain elements that can’t be added to some scopes (Farm, Site, Web, and WebApplication). To get the installed feature, browse to
c:\program files\common files\ Microsoft Shared\Web server extensions\12\templates\Features.
To get rid of this error message, try to change the ‘Scope’ attribute to either ‘Farm’ or ‘Site’ or ‘Web’ or ‘WebApplication’.
Also, try to do that through STSADM.EXE.
· stsadm -o installfeature -filename MyCustomFeature\feature.xml
· stsadm -o activatefeature -filename MyCustomFeature\feature.xml –url http://Server/Site/
Eg: I am giving a sample feature.xml file which configured for Site level.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<ElementManifest Location="Lightup.xml" />
I had a similar problem, but I was able to solve it in a different way. In my feature.xml and workflow.xml file I gave my Title tag a different name from the project name. This was the cause of the problem which I couldn't detect until after several trials. I later changed the Title to the name of the project and it worked.
I fixed this problem as follows
Open the solution in Windows explorer.
Go into the folder Features
Open each subfolder
Open each file with *.feature
If the file contains the problematic GUID, delete all files with that name (*.feature and *.xml)
Remove the project from solution file and add it back from source control.
Sofia - I could kiss you! Removing the .feature file solved my headache!
Removing the .feature file is generating another error at the compilation time: "The file feature1.feature is missing." so this is not a good idea.
Now i'm trying to add this feature to web before activation.