So I go to remote into my machine via RDP tonight and up comes a black screen and the popup error:
Hrmm so I click OK and now all I have is a black screen. Gahhhh. I actually had some serious work to do from home tonight.
A quick search shows that this is no isolated to me...
If you bring up task manager via CTRL SHIFT ESC you get this:
So - I did some research on it and it appears to be a known issue - perhaps fixed in the Svc Pack or sooner if a customer complains ( hint hint ) . Apparently winlogon gets a bit confused and insists on showing me the secure desktop screen.
Anywho - a workaround for now is to do CTRL-ALT-END and choose Logoff.
Luckily I had some text docs unsaved and it gave me a chance to abort the logoff as well.
FYI I also saw this in the evt logs:
Log Name: ApplicationSource: Application ErrorDate: 3/12/2007 9:46:25 PMEvent ID: 1000Task Category: (100)Level: ErrorKeywords: ClassicUser: N/AComputer: mymachineDescription:Faulting application atbroker.exe, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp 0x4549aed5, faulting module USER32.dll, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp 0x4549bdc9, exception code 0xc0000142, fault offset 0x00008fc7, process id 0x1aac, application start time 0x01c7652a8be56c87.
So I went to look for a .dmp file but can't seem to find drwtsn32.exe anymore -- ahhh its been replaced
says " Dr. Watson, the system failure or "crash" analysis tool, has been replaced in this version of Windows with Problem Reports and Solutions. "
Hrmm, well I'd still like to see a dmp file. Anyone know how I can configure it to create a full one like I used to do in XP?
It looks like it saves some dmps under C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\Report - but I dont see one for this crash.
I can also see that there is a drwatson.exe - but I have yet to determine its purpose in life. When I launch it, it simply says "no faults detected". If someone can shed some light on that as well, I'd be grateful :)
The exception code in that termiantion dialog can be found in ntstatus.h in the WDK. It translates to STATUS_DLL_INIT_FAILED (Initialization of the dynamic link library %hs failed. The process is terminating abnormally.) My guess is those applications when trying to init user32 as part of their dynamic load-time links, user32 saw it was on secure desktop and freaked and wouldnt load.
Well I dont know about a full dump, but you can require it to create a dump eachtime using the Forcequeue value in WERCON...
Ahh this looks very promising. Ill look at that. thanks!
Hey, thanks for posting this information. Your CTRL-ALT-END workaround did the trick!
I am remoted into my home workstation almost all the time I am not home and have an Internet connection.
My Vista Ultimate machine developed the same issue recently. The Ctrl-Alt-End workaround was no help i my case I'm afraid. However, as the issue has only started happening in the last 7-10 days I decided to uninstall all updates recently installed... Presto, problem solved !!!
The updates in question are KB933566, KB929123, KB931213, KB905866, KB929762 & KB936825
Hope this helps.
Interesting as this bug should not have been introduced in any hotfix\security patch ( if I recall it has been there since RTM )
On another note... it seems a customer opened a case and there is a bug filed on this! :)
But, if there are any customers with a TAM who wants to add their voice of "Fix this!" let me know ...( cant be too safe yaknow ) .
Just an FYI. I had the same problem and I did what you suggested to solve the problem. One thing I noticed is that IE was not running when I got in and before when I was localy logged on it was runnig.. could this be an IE bug?
Thanks for the work around. I was just short of picking up my lazy self and run to office as I had some work to complete, and could not remote in, thanks to the atbroker issue. But, your work around saved the day. Thanks again!
Thanks for the work around. ive recently encountered this problem. The only changes to my machine have been windows updates so I wonder if one have them has introduced the problem or if it was a one off. Anyhow thanks again
i have had alot off error codes that i have recently sent to tech department in regards to atbroker.exe and various windows explorer seizure codes. they have since infrmed in 8 weels a scheduled service pack 1 will be released which is to stabilize compatibilty and explorer issues
Nice one! Saved me from a long cartrip resetting the system :)
Sweet, this helped me out tonight - thanks!
Rock on brother. You saved me.
I see this issue on my Vista Enterprise 64bit system occasionally as well. Seems to mainly happen when I’m using a different OS to RDP into my Vista system. It mostly happens with using RDP in Windows XP, but have also seen it when using rdesktop in Linux. But like everyone else, doesn’t always happen.
Another workaround I’ve used to get your screen back without logging off, is to use another Vista system, RDP in the problem Vista system, log out and you should have your console back.