In Vista roaming profiles are a little different.
We append .V2 to the file servers copy o fthe profile ( i.e joe.v2 )
We do not share between XP and Vista... see http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/b/a/3ba6d659-6e39-4cd7-b3a2-9c96482f5353/Managing%20Roaming%20User%20Data%20Deployment%20Guide.doc for more info ... here is a quick rundown.
1. Create user called Template
a. Configure him for purple desktop
2. Logoff template
3. Logon as domain admin
4. Use the Profiles UI to copy the user domain\template’s profile to \\server\share\VistaUsers.V2
a. Make sure to grant “everyone” permissions ( or whoever you want to acccess this profile )
NOTE: For supermandatory profiles you need to copy it to \\server_name\mandatory\MandProfile.man.V2
5. Logoff as domain admin
6. On the DC – create 2 users.
7. Configure both VMand1 and 2 for the same profile path \\server\share\VistaUsers
a. Note the lack of the “.v2”
8. Rename \\server\share\VistaUsers.V2
a. Ntuser.dat to ntuser.man
9. Verify logon as VMand1 and 2 get the same mandatory profile and cannot change it.
Just thought i'd toss up the quick and dirty method here...