Browse by Tags

Tagged Content List
  • Blog Post: Bing vs Google – The Showdown of the Maps – A student perspective

    by Darren Doyle I’m a big fan when it comes to Maps. I have no idea why mapping online is so cool to me, but it’s one of the things I use a lot. Today I’ve decided to compare Bing and Google Maps both side by side and see who is the winner! While Wikipedia has a great comparison , I will be conducting...
  • Blog Post: #NotAtMix? Join the Live Blog, Live Stream, or Channel 9

    What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas … right?  Not when it comes to MIX10.  Here’s how you can connect to what’s happening Want the student perspective?  Join our Live blog where you can listen or chat with us about the upcoming announcements.  Starting at 9am PT.   MIX10 Day...
  • Blog Post: New Videos: Get Started with Visual Web Developer Express 2008

    Visual Web Developer Express 2008 is a free web tool that allows you to build CSS, HTML ASP.NET, C#, VB, and JavaScript and supports additional frameworks like ASP.NET MVC, AJAX, Silverlight and jQuery. ASP.NET is releasing a new series of how-to videos from beginner to intermediate. Now’s the time...
  • Blog Post: IE8 Web Slices, Accelerators, ESPN, and eBay

    Internet Explorer (IE) 8 has a number of cool features including Color- Coded Tabs that group together connected tabs, web slices, and accelerators.  What is an accelerator ?  An accelerator allows you to quickly take an action based on highlighted text.  What is a web slice ?  A...
  • Blog Post: MIX 09 Announcements

    MIX 09 had some great announcements for web developers and we designers, I thought I’d post a summary of some of the announcements here so you can follow up on those that interest you.  This Week on Channel9 has a great re-cap where they discuss many of these announcements.  Check out their...
  • Blog Post: Silverlight for MySpace Developer Platform

    Exciting announcement from Michael’s blog about MySpace and Silverlight. “Now you can build Silverlight applications for the MySpace Developer Platform !  I have been working with MySpace for months on this initiative and now we have some exciting results: MySpace has just announced support for...
  • Blog Post: MIX Web Design Conference Direct from a Student

    Microsoft Students 2 Business is a Microsoft community that helps students connect with Microsoft partners and professionals to gain experience, mentoring and jobs.  This month, Microsoft Students 2 Business sent Janis Lee at UIUC to attend the MIX Conference in Las Vegas, NV.  MIX is Microsoft...
  • Blog Post: IE8 Color Coded Tabs

    I spent today reading some articles on internet browsers, their features, and their programming models.  Processes are the New Threads:   One of new approaches many browsers are taking is to model tabs as processes instead of threads.  Why?  Crash Protection.  When a tab crashes...
  • Blog Post: Silverlight Game Contest

    Build a Game in Silverlight for the opportunity to win $5K. More Details here: http://www.serverquestcontest.com/
  • Blog Post: SlideShare Office 2007 Plugin

    From http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/12/15/slideshare-sends-powerpoint-to-the-cloud-with-new-plugin/ :  SlideShare , a startup that we’ve likened to a YouTube equivalent for PowerPoint presentations , has released a new plugin for Microsoft Office 2007 that allows users to edit and publish presentations...
  • Blog Post: XAML PowerToys for Silverlight

    Tim Heuer added onto the Silverlight Conversation today by pointing out these XAML PowerToys for Silverlight 2.
  • Blog Post: Silverlight 2 is Now Available

    At the stroke of midnight, Silverlight 2 reached the internet. Here are links to Install Silverlight 2 runtime and to Install the Silverlight Tools for Visual Studio 2008 , Expression Blend update for Silverlight 2 , and Deep Zoom Composer . Students can develop for Silverlight 2 in the following...
  • Blog Post: Ramping up on the job: Training

    Ah, training.  Formal training can be more or less helpful depending on the training and role.  For my role, I have various online trainings "due" throughout the year.  I spent part of my first week back catching up on these and getting ahead so that I could focus on my ramp...
  • Blog Post: Determine Gender with Browser URL History

    Mike on Ads has a fun tool for determining your gender based on your Browser URL History. My results? Surprise, I'm quite browsingly female :) Likelihood of you being FEMALE is 82% Likelihood of you being MALE is 18% The most interesting aspect of this is actually to see the sites you visit and...
  • Blog Post: Popfly Game Creator: Games by Students

    Alfred beat me to posting my own content :) We recently asked a number of students to use Popfly and submit a Popfly creation (a mash-up or a game). 10 of the games that were created were picked by the Popfly Team in the Games We Love http://popflywiki.com/GamesWeLove.ashx entry in the Popfly wiki...
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)