THE MICROSOFT SQL HEROES CONTEST
Common terms used in these rules:
These are the official rules that govern how the Microsoft SQL Heroes 2008 contest promotion will operate. This promotion will be simply referred to as the “Contest” throughout the rest of these rules.
In these rules, “we,” “our,” and “us” refer to Microsoft Corporation, the sponsor of the Contest. “You,” “yourself” refers to an eligible Contest entrant.
1. CONTEST DESCRIPTION:
This is a skill-based Contest and chance plays no part in the determination of the winner(s). The object of this Contest is to create a community project in CodePlex based on SQL Server 2008. For purpose of this Contest, each community project that you create and submit in the Contest will be called an “entry.” All eligible entries received will be judged using the criteria described below to determine winners.
2. WHAT ARE THE START AND END DATES?
This Contest starts at 12:01 AM [Greenwich Mean Time (“GMT”)] on 03/10/2008 and ends at 11:59 PM [GMT] on 8/31/2008 (“Entry Period”). Entries must be received within the Entry Period to be eligible.
3. CAN YOU ENTER?
You are eligible to enter this Contest if you meet the following requirements:
§ You are 18 years or older at the time of entry; and
§ You are NOT a resident of Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan or Syria; and
§ You are NOT an employee of Microsoft Corporation or an employee of a Microsoft subsidiary; and
§ You are NOT involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Contest; and
§ You are NOT an immediate family (parent, sibling, spouse, child) or household member of a person involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Contest.
This Contest is void outside the geographic area identified above and wherever else prohibited by law.
4. WHAT CONSTITUTES AN ELIGIBLE ENTRY?
To be eligible for judging an entry must meet the following content/technical requirements:
1. A CodePlex project must be created and published containing all of the source code and other elements of your entry.
2. The SQL Heroes 2008 Contest Survey describing your application must be submitted during the contest period. One survey submission is required for each unique entry.
3. All source code and other elements of your entry to be judged must be in CodePlex source control prior to the end of the contest period.
4. An official, public release of your entry must be uploaded to in CodePlex on the Releases tab prior to the end of the contest period.
5. All source code and other elements of your entry must be licensed under the Microsoft Permissive License (Ms-PL).
In addition, by submitting your entry into this Contest you confirm that, to the best of your knowledge:
· your entry is your own original work; and
· your entry only includes material (including music, video or images) that you own, or that you have permission from the copyright / trademark owner to use; and
· you have obtained permission from any recognizable person (parent/guardian, if a minor) that appears in your entry to submit your entry in this Contest and to use their personal data in the entry for the purposes of the Contest (if applicable); and
5. HOW WILL MY ENTRY BE POTENTIALLY USED?
Other than what is set forth below, we are not claiming any ownership rights to your entry. However, by submitting your entry, you:
· are granting us an irrevocable, worldwide right and licence, for which you have received a sufficient remuneration, for the duration of the protection of the copyrights to: (i) reproduce, copy, modify or alter your entry with all known all later developed means; (ii) use, review, assess, test and otherwise analyse your entry and all its content in connection with this Contest and any future contests sponsored by Microsoft; and (ii) feature your entry and all its content in connection with the promotion of this Contest in all media (now known or later developed);
· except where prohibited, hereby waive any and all so-called “moral rights” or any similar right that you may have or hereinafter acquire in the entry and all its content, and to the extent that you can not, you hereby consent to us doing or omitting to do any act that would otherwise infringe such “moral rights” or any such similar rights;
· agree to sign any necessary documentation that may be required for us and our designees to make use of the rights you granted above;
· understand and acknowledge that that Microsoft and other entrants may have developed or commissioned materials similar or identical to your submission and you waive any claims you may have resulting from any similarities to your entry; · understand that we cannot control the incoming information you will disclose to our representatives in the course of entering, or what our representatives will remember about your entry. You also understand that we will not restrict work assignments of representatives who have had access to your entry. By entering this Contest, you agree that use of information in our representatives’ unaided memories in the development or deployment of our products or services does not create liability for us under this agreement or copyright or trade secret law;
· understand that you will not receive any compensation or credit for use of your entry, other than what is described in these Official Rules.
Please note that following the end of this Contest your entry may be posted on a website selected by us for viewing by visitors to that website. We are not responsible for any unauthorized use of your entry by visitors to this website. While we reserve these rights, we are not obligated to use your entry for any purpose, even if it has been selected as a winning entry.
If you do not want to grant us these rights to your entry, please do not enter this Contest.
6. HOW DO YOU SUBMIT YOUR ENTRY?
To submit your entry:
1. Create a new CodePlex project at http://www.codeplex.com/ and publish it.
2. Complete the SQL Heroes 2008 Contest Application Survey at https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Survey/Survey.aspx?SurveyID=5724.
3. Check all of your entry source code and other supporting elements into source control.
4. Publish a release prior to the end of the contest period.
We will only accept one entry per person and e-mail address per day. In other words, two people may not enter using the same email address – you each must enter using a unique email address. We are not responsible for entries that we do not receive for any reason, or for entries that we receive but are not decipherable for any reason.
We will automatically disqualify:
(1)Incomplete or illegible entries; and
(2)Entries that we receive in excess of the entry limit described above.
7. HOW WILL ENTRIES BE JUDGED?
A panel of qualified judges from the SQL Ranger community (whose names will be available on request), which will include at least one independent judge, will review all eligible entries received and select three finalists and one winners based upon the following criteria:
· The deliverables must run on/with/by/for SQL Server 2008 in some way.
· The deliverables must use other current version Microsoft technologies as appropriate. Trial versions and/or free Express Editions of most technologies are available, including SQL Server 2008. Examples include:
o Visual Studio 2008
o Windows Server 2008
o Exchange Server 2007
o SharePoint Server 2007
o BizTalk Server 2006
o Microsoft .NET Framework
· Fifteen finalists will be determined by the official judges for various aspects of each project in the following categories. Between 1 and 5 points will be awarded in each of the six judging criteria (for a total of no more than 30 points):
a. Criteria: Ready to Run
i. Easy to install the release.
ii. Well-documented for users “getting started.” (Documentation must be in English to be properly reviewed by the judges.)
b. Criteria: Points for Style
i. Good UX
ii. Easy to use
c. Criteria: Novel Ideas
i. Filling unserved gaps or niches in existing SQL Server Community & Samples ecosphere.
d. Criteria: Grand Design
i. Focus on a large industry vertical with broad appeal, enterprise appeal.
ii. Useful to a broad audience among the SQL Server community.
e. Criteria: Flexible Design
i. Pluggable, scalable architecture.
ii. Easy to extend.
iii. Covers a lot of bases.
iv. Backward compatibility with previous versions of SQL Server.
f. Criteria: Public Voting
i. These bonus points will be awarded based on community voting in each category via Connect.Microsoft.com survey “SQL Heroes 2008 Community Survey”:
ii. +5 points for the project with the most community votes
iii. +4 points for the project with the second most community votes
iv. +3 points for the project with the third highest total of community votes
v. +2 points for the project with the fourth highest total of community votes
vi. +1 point for the project with the fifth highest total of community votes
vii. Limit one vote per person, and must be cast by a human.
viii. The use of any automated launching or entry software or any other mechanical or electronic means that permits the participant to automatically vote repeatedly is prohibited.
The decisions of these judges are final and binding. Finalists will be announced on or around October 1, 2008. The winners will be selected on or around 19 November 2008 and winners will be announced during the SQL PASS 2008 conference (19-21 November 2008) and on the SQL Heroes blog (http://blogs.msdn.com/SqlHeroes/). If we do not receive a sufficient number of entries meeting the entry requirements, we may, at our discretion based on the above criteria, select fewer than five winners. In the event of a tie between any eligible entries, the tie will be broken by an additional judge who will the judge the tied entries based on the criteria listed above.
8. WHAT IS/ARE THE PRIZE(S)?
Fifteen (15) finalists will receive recognition as SQL All Stars and will be nominated for SQL Server MVP 2009 status.
Five (5) Grand Prize winners will each receive each receive an HP EX470 MediaSmart Home Server with Microsoft Windows Home Server software. Estimated Retail Value, $599.99US. Alternative prizes will be considered where the recipient resides in a locale where export restrictions prohibit purchase or delivery of the grand prize.
The odds of winning will depend on the number of eligible entries received and the level of skill of each entrant.
If for any reason the advertised prize is unavailable, unless to do so would be prohibited by law, we reserve the right to substitute a prize(s) of equal or greater value, as permitted. We will only award one (1) prize per person. If you are selected as a potential winner of this Contest:
(1)You may not exchange your prize for cash or any other merchandise or services.
(2)You may not designate someone else as the winner. If you are unable or unwilling to accept your prize, we will award it to an alternate potential winner.
(3)If you accept a prize, you will be solely responsible for all applicable taxes related to accepting the prize.
(4)If you are a minor in your place of residence, we may award the prize to your parent/legal guardian on your behalf and your parent/legal guardian shall be designated as the winner.
9. HOW WILL YOU KNOW IF YOU’RE A WINNER?
If you are a potential winner, we will notify you by sending a message to the e-mail address, the phone number, or mailing address (if any) listed on your entry within seven (7) days following the determination of winners. If the notification that we send is returned as undeliverable, or you are otherwise unreachable for any reason, we may award the prize to an alternate winner.
If there is a dispute as to who is the potential winner, we will consider the potential winner to be the authorized account holder of the e-mail address used to enter the Contest.
If you are a potential winner, we may require you to sign a declaration of eligibility, use, indemnity and liability/publicity release. If you are a potential winner and are a minor in your place of residence, and we require that your parent or legal guardian shall be designated as the winner pursuant to clause 8(4) above, we may require that they sign a declaration of eligibility, use, indemnity and liability/publicity release on your behalf. If you, (or your parent/legal guardian if applicable), do not sign and return these required forms within the time period listed on the winner notification message, we may disqualify you (or the designated parent/legal guardian) and select an alternate selected winner.
10. WHAT OTHER CONDITIONS ARE YOU ARE AGREEING TO BY ENTERING THIS CONTEST?
By entering this Contest you agree:
(1.) To abide by these Official Rules;
(2.) To the extent allowable under applicable law, to release and hold harmless Microsoft, their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, employees and agents from any and all liability or any injury, loss, damage, right, claim or action of any kind arising from or in connection with this Contest or any prize won save for residents of the United Kingdom, Hong Kong, France and Germany with respect to claims resulting from death or personal injury arising from Microsoft’s negligence, for residents of the United Kingdom with respect to claims resulting from the tort of deceit or any other liabilities that may not be excluded by law, and for residents of Australia in respect of any implied condition or warranty the exclusion of which from these Official Rules would contravene any statute or cause any part of these Official Rules to be void;
(3.) That Microsoft’s decisions will be final and binding on all matters related to this Contest; and
(4.) That by accepting a prize, Microsoft may use your name and place of residence online and in print, or in any other media, in connection with this Contest, without payment or compensation to you. The declaration of eligibility, use, indemnity and liability/publicity release provided to the potential winner (pursuant to clause 9 above) will make reference to obtaining his/her free consent to use his/her name and place of residence. In any case, the lack of such consent does not prevent the winner from receiving the prize.
This Contest will be governed by the laws of the State of Washington, and you consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the courts of the State of Washington for any disputes arising out of this Contest.
For residents of the United Kingdom only: The provisions of the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 shall not apply to this agreement.
11. WHAT IF SOMETHING UNEXPECTED HAPPENS AND THE CONTEST CAN’T RUN AS PLANNED?
If someone cheats, or a virus, bug, catastrophic event, or any other unforeseen or unexpected event that cannot be reasonably anticipated or controlled, (also referred to as force majeure) affects the fairness and / or integrity of this Contest, we reserve the right to cancel, change or suspend this Contest. This right is reserved whether the event is due to human or technical error. If a solution cannot be found to restore the integrity of the Contest, we reserve the right to select winners based on the criteria specified above from among all eligible entries received before we had to cancel, change or suspend the Contest.
Computer “hacking” is unlawful. If you attempt to compromise the integrity or the legitimate operation of this Contest by hacking or by cheating or committing fraud in ANY way, we may seek damages from you to the fullest extent permitted by law. Further, we may ban you from participating in any of our future Contests, so please play fairly.
12. HOW CAN YOU FIND OUT WHO WON?
Contest updates, the finalists and winners will be posted on the SQL Heroes blog:
Finalists will be announced on or about October 1, 2008. Winners will be announced on or about November 21, 2008.
13. WHO IS SPONSORING THIS CONTEST?
Microsoft Corporation is the sponsor of this Contest.
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052