I've seen a couple issues where SQL 2005 SP3 setup failed with below error for database engine and tools.
Customer had installed SQL 2005 and SP2 from network location (using mapped drive) and is concerned that problem is due to install being a network install-
Error Number : 1612 Error Description : Unable to install Windows Installer MSP file
Error Number : 1714 Error Description : MSP Error: 1714 The older version of Microsoft SQL Server Native Client cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group
Cause : =====
In this case, SP3 is not getting installed due to missing msp files in %windir%\installer folder. These are not automatically deleted and must have been manually deleted
.MSP files are automatically created for service pack or cumulative update or hotfix installs and store the differential changes between the previous and current install. These are useful if the patch needs to be uninstalled
Note that this is not caused by a network install and a network install (even without using mapped drive) works fine
Please ensure Full Control permission is granted on the Data folder and on all files in the Data folder as mentioned in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918357
The remaining option is to recreate msp files for which you can get assistance from PSS
Additional note: ===========
Note that similar problem can occur for previous SQL 2005 service packs and cumulative update installs too and may be due to the missing msps
Steps to reproduce problem for the tech savy- ===============================
ONLY attempt below repro steps on test (Win2k3) system-
1. Install SQL 2005 (thro network/local install) (with database engine and workstation components) and then install SP2 (thro network/local install)
2. GoTo below registry keys and get the names of the msp files in ‘Local Package’ values (msp files on my system were 7ec0e3.msp, 7ec23f.msp but they can have different names)-
3. GoTo Start->Run->%windir%\installer
4. Delete the two msp files in %windir%\installer (or move them to another directory)
5. Attempt (network/local) SP3 install - this should fail for database engine and for workstation components
Vijay Rodriguez SE, Microsoft SQL Server
PingBack from http://www.codedstyle.com/sql-server-2005-sp3-install-fails-with-error-1612-unable-to-install-windows-installer-msp-file/
I have an Issue.......
I am having SQL SERVER 2005 (RTM), which is a production Server, Now we would like to apply SP3 on this server where while applying the SP3 we are unable to find Database Enine to apply. But we can see rest of the futures like MS Setup Support files etc...
And we are very concern while performing this activity the production DB should not disturb.
Awaiting for your valuable Solutions...