Installation for SQL Server 2008 Management studio fails with the MSI error code: 0x5EBE5729
Feature: Management Tools - Complete
Status: Failed: see logs for details
MSI status: Failed: see details below
MSI error code: 0x5EBE5729
MSI log file location: <OS Drive>:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\<Iteration ID>\trin_aide_Cpu32_1.log
MSI error description:
Note: "trin_aide.msi" is responsible for installing Visual Studio Tools for Applications.
<Just an excerpt>
03/23/10 15:20:16 DDSet_Status: CustomActionData: "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\addinutil.exe" -PipelineRoot:"S:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VSTA\Pipeline\." -Rebuild -Silent
Error: The given folder "S:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VSTA\Pipeline\." does not exist.
03/23/10 15:20:16 DDSet_Status: Process returned 1
03/23/10 15:20:16 DDSet_Error: The Commandline
Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VSTA\Pipeline\." -Rebuild -Silent' returned
non-zero value: 1.
03/23/10 15:20:16 DDSet_CARetVal: 1
· If you look at the error addinutil.exe is failing to locate files and folders under "<Drive>:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VSTA\Pipeline\."
· While you can run the command from command prompt without any issues, setup fails to execute the same.
· After Further investigation we could determine that the common files directory in our case was a mapped drive.
· It is my hypothesis and I tested that we are not honoring mapped drives for common files.
· If the Remote computer, containing the mapped drives already has VSTA (Visual Studio for Applications) installed then we would not run into the same issue.
· Change the commonfilesdir registry string under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion to reflect the local OS drive.
Refer http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc175869.aspx for understanding VSTA add-in pipeline
Bharath Kumar SE, Microsoft SQL Server
Shamik Ghosh & Sudarshan Narasimhan TL, Microsoft SQL Server
One of the worst SQL Server 2008 set up. I have been struggling to install this for the past one month and saw several people had this problem unable to resolve. I completely removed, 2005. Some programs are not even getting removed. We are moving to Oracle.
This solution is bogus and dangerous - don't follow it has nothing to do with the error. The problem is MS Server 2008 cannot read trin-aide.msi when Visual Studio 208 sp1 has been previously installed because the trin-aide.msi package included with SQL 08 is outdated. Another instance of Microsoft being greedy and lazy