As promised, though a bit late, here are the change lists I put together for a couple of versions of MFCMAPI, along with a history lesson.
Versions 1-3 of MFCMAPI were essentially toys, built as I learned what could be done with MAPI. I can't even find them now - I wasn't very good at source control back then.
The oldest build of MFCMAPI I possess is 18.104.22.168, from 9/26/2001. At the time, it was for me just a collection of sample code that I would share with customers and other Dev Support engineers. Somewhere along the line, I found that Exchange and Outlook support folks wanted to use MFCMAPI as a tool. So I set up an internal site here at Microsoft where they could grab the latest stable build and use it. I didn't consider it ready for customers to use as a tool though, so I asked that I be kept in the loop any time it was sent out the door.
At some point (9/27/2002 to be exact) I bumped the major build number to 5.* to reflect the number of changes I had made recently. I also started work on the classic KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291794. It went live on 7/24/2003 with version 22.214.171.124. Minor build numbers were introduced along the way and I kept the article updated with builds and source. The last build I published in the KB was 126.96.36.1998 and it was built on 2/14/2005.
In August of 2004, a program manager for Exchange contacted me about having MFCMAPI officially replace MDBVU for Exchange 12, eventually known as Exchange 2007. Of course, I jumped at the chance. The experience of checking my code into the Exchange build tree was incredibly instructive. We ended up changing over half the code to get it up to the Exchange team's standards. We took our time getting the official Exchange build ready, so I kept up the KB releases for a while. Finally on 6/7/2006, we released the newly christened "MAPI Editor". Since this version was built out of the Exchange 2003 build tree, the version number was 06.05.7830.
As I stated at the time, my eventual goal was to get the source for this new build published. I also wanted to continually update the binary as I added features and bug fixes. But as we all know, when you hand control over to someone else - and their priorities aren't in sync with yours - what you want and what you get aren't always the same.
So - this past year, with the blessing of the Exchange team, I took control back. They can still publish an official build of "MAPI Editor" if they want, but I've put all the source and the releases for MFCMAPI up on CodePlex. The first release went live on 8/30/2007, and I've done three updates since then. Since I took over building the project, I resumed my old version numbering scheme, bumping the major build number to 6.
I've rambled enough - here are those diffs:
KB (188.8.131.528) -> MAPI Editor Download (06.05.7830):
MAPI Editor Download (06.05.7830) -> Initial Codeplex population (184.108.40.2060):
I’ve touched on the history of MFCMAPI before . The rebranding of MFCMAPI as MAPI Editor and posting
Thank you !!!
Had a MAPI problem with Office 365 for days... (+/- 365) got fix in 5 minutes with your tool.