I just completed building my first MSS07 application and I thought I would jot down my thoughts and findings.
My application is very simple, I only take one piece of information from the user, query a database via a web service and play back a prompt based upon the results of the query. Simple right? Well one requirement was to support both English and Spanish and not speaking Spanish this made it a little difficult. I decided to go with a Managed workflow application as I am very green to Speech development but very familiar with managed code so it just seemed like a good choice. The application currently does all inbound traffic but I hope to extend it to do outbound too. The entire development process took a couple of months of working only at night.
Dell Precision 1850 with x64 Xeon processors and 4 GB of memory. 1Gb teaming NIC, runs Speech server like a champ.
Audiocodes Mediant 2000 with a single T1 card.
I developed my application on a Toshiba laptop which although it has a built in microphone I decided to purchase a Plantronics headphone and microphone since I mainly worked on this at night and I kept waking up my wife "talking to my computer". Money well spent.