As I mentioned in my previous post, I recently went to Taiwan with my wife to visit her parents and extended family. And as I said in my previous post, I was really underwhelmed by the promise of “life in the cloud”.
However, there is one big advantage – when I take pictures with my phone, it syncs it to my OneDrive (formerly SkyDrive) automatically; that is, whenever there is an internet connection nearby. My phone does not take pictures as good as a digital camera but I really like that it syncs without me having to transfer from the digital card.
So, here are 10 of pictures from Taiwan from my phone:
1. Me outside Din Tai Fung, one of the best dumpling places in the world. I’ve been to the one in Seattle (Bellevue) and now I can say I’ve been to the one in Taipei. If M3AAWG ever has a session in Taipei, someone should sponsor a night-out here!
2. The fruit in Asia is better than anything in North America. This is Shakya and it is amazing!
3. In Taitung on the southeast corner of Taiwan is a Museum of Prehistory. It is one of the best natural history museums I have been to. They used to have elephants in Taiwan, something I never knew!
4. One of the computers I saw running Windows XP with Internet Explorer 6.
5. One of the theories about the origins of the people populating Austronesia – the islands stretching as far west as Madagascar and as far east as Easter Island, but excluding New Guinea and Australia – is that they originally descended from Taiwan. This large head is not native to Taiwan but instead pays tribute to the Easter Islanders who may be descendants of the Taiwanese.
6. Did you ever wonder how they grow rice? Below is a rice field. They’re all like this – slightly flooded.
7. The Pacific coast of Taiwan.
8. A busy street in Taichung on the west side of the island.
9. Checking out some of the street markets in Taichung.
10. Finally, can anyone translate what this says? The app on my phone says it means “F**k capitalism.” Is that true?
That’s all for now, thanks for viewing.
I can't help laughing while reading “F**k capitalism.” :-D
"福" means good luck. "義" can means justice, morality, virtue, righteousness etc. It's core value of chinese culture. It couldn't be explained in few words. “軒”can simply explained as house, one kind of house. I couldn't express it in english. sorry. Maybe you can ask your wife, she should do it well.
In one word, "福義軒" is name of a firm.