The goal of this site is to put relevant and applicable tools and information at the fingertips
With this blog we want to inform you on our latest initiatives.
Enjoy reading and stay tuned!
As many of you know, alongside the launch of the Windows 8 Consumer Preview, we also released the beta for the next version of Visual Studio 11. So whilst trying out the Windows 8 preview, there is No Better Time to Try Visual Studio 11 Beta, Team Foundation Server 11 Beta and .NET Framework 4.5 Beta are all now available and can be found here.
The best development experience for Windows 8
Continuing to ALM maturity
Visual Studio 11 Beta builds upon a strong legacy and with new collaboration capabilities to empower development teams, improved productivity through the core development experience resulting in delighted end-users with delivering modern, fast and fluid Metro-style, Windows Phone and Web apps.
There’s no solution on the market that can provide the depth and breadth of capability as Visual Studio across multiple platforms, and through Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) process maturity. You can find out more about how your organisation approaches ALM, and then make real improvements, by taking the ALM Assessment. ALM as an approach to Development, to testing, and to IT and we hope it adds real value to you as well as open up your minds to talking about how then the relevant tools can support your move to ALM.
What’s the new?
The new Visual Studio experience is built around three core pillars:
· Delighting end users – end users, or customers, are the core reason any software project begins in the first place. we know you want fast and fluid Windows experiences and web applications that feel modern and intuitive. Business users want systems that simplify their day jobs, where the hard work is done for them. Visual Studio 11 Beta delivers these great experiences.
· Development simplified – the most common, useful daily tasks are simplified with a new integrated development experience. Focusing on simplification has enabled developers to save time and reduce risks, continuously enabling quality throughout the development process
· Empowered teams – focusing on people, not processes. Agile can be experienced throughout Visual Studio 11 Beta; we’ve taken the very best practices from agile and incorporated them throughout. Every opportunity has been taken to eliminate waste and reuse and recycle code across projects.
So Why Wait…
We’re really excited about the release of Visual Studio 11 Beta, we are bringing the best experiences to developers for Windows 8 as well as building on the great work we started with Visual 2010 building towards a mature ALM Solution unparalleled in the market. Visual Studio, supported by DreamSpark, will continue to be the right choice for Academics and students who want to remain productive, efficient and skilled in modern and appropriate tools for employability.
Download the VS11 Beta preview yourself and visit some of the key resources:-
Read more details re Visual Studio
Follow @VisualStudioUK on Twitter
Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) is an entry-level certification that validates the fundamental technology knowledge that students and other new entrants to IT need to start building a career in Microsoft technologies. MTA helps students explore career options in technology, prepare for advanced studies in IT, and is a stepping stone to MCTS exams. MTA is currently available to students, faculty, and staff of accredited academic institutions and to MCT’s.
The MTA HTML5 Application Development Fundamentals exam is available!
98-375 HTML5 Application Development Fundamentals has released through Certiport. This exam tests knowledge of fundamental HTML5 application development concepts, including understanding the platform, publishing an app to a store, choosing and configuring HTML5 tags to display graphics or play media, arranging UI content using CSS, etc. Candidates for this exam are seeking to prove core HTML5 client application development skills that will run on today’s touch-enabled devices (PCs, tablets, and phones). See what all is covered in the exam here.
To see MTA commentary on LinkedIn, please join the MTA group at http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Microsoft-Technology-Associate-3701818?gid=3701818&trk=hb_side_g.
You can also see an announcement of the new exam on Born to Learn, posted by Kristi Svor, here.
Lets make TechEd Europe a giant success!
Lots more detail and updates are now available for TechED Europe which will take place in Amsterdam
TechEd updates now available on the Social section of the TechEd web site here: http://europe.msteched.com/social
Plus we’ve kicked off our regular Countdown series which will regularly bring 10 juicy minutes of information and detail from the planning team! http://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/The-Countdown-Show
So if you want to get the latest information on Microsoft products, tools and technologies TechEd should be in your calendars.
Come and join us on the 27th of March in Newcastle we will be discussing the Consumerisation of IT and how to Manage consumer devices on networks. We hope that this event will be of interest to students, academics and IT Pros. The event will give you a glimpse of the latest technologies that Microsoft are running in the world of Virtualisation.
- Hands on learning with Microsoft experts Andrew Fryer @deepfat and Simon May @simonster - Discussion of the latest technologies from Microsoft including: System Center, Hyper-V, SharePoint and Exchange - Opportunity to win one of five Nokia Lumia phones - Other free goodies - Lunch, coffee and refreshments provided.
Event: Consumerisation of IT/ Manage consumer devices on a corporate network
Date: 27th March 2012
Location: Novotel Newcastle Airport, Ponteland Road, Kenton, Newcastle upon
This year the UK Tech.Days team have changed the format of our traditional Tech.Days theatre events into a series of ‘Boot Camp’ style seminars. The aim of these is to allow IT Professionals to have more discussion time with evangelists like Andrew Fryer, and each other to share common problems and solutions – and we’re looking for your help to share these with your users.
The Newcastle Event will host approx. 70 people with a mixture of discussions and practical demonstration. Although there will be a loose agenda, it will be PowerPoint-free event, allowing the hosts to focus on the questions that our guests ask.
For the event in Newcastle, we will be focusing on the Consumerisation of IT which a key topic within the UK Education sector
· How key Microsoft technologies such as System Center 2012, SharePoint 2010, Windows Server 2008R2, Exchange 2010 or Office 365 and Windows 7 come together to help you deliver flexibility and support for devices and desktops.
· How to use the latest tools to manage your estate, deliver applications flexibly, manage devices such as iOS and Android as well as Windows, implement IP Sec, reduce anti-malware costs, implement Direct Access and secure remote access.
· We'll also help you think about what you need to build into a "Bring your own device" or BYOD policy.
Registrations are now open and can be found here
Windows 8 Consumer Preview keynote - http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/presskits/windows/videogallery2.aspx
Windows 8 For Application Developers – By UK Tech.Days
This 3 city (London, Manchester and Edinburgh) tour focuses on creating broad awareness and excitement around the Windows 8 opportunities for developers.
These are 1 day events which are delivered by our Windows 8 Champs with the goal of providing accelerated learning to Windows 8 application development. You are welcome to invite your customers and partners to attend. You can see all of these events on the UK Tech.Days home page.
London, Friday, 30th March 2012 – Register
Manchester, Friday, 27th April 2012 – Register
Edinburgh, Tuesday, 1st May 2012 – Register
Windows 8 Camp – By UK Tech.Days
This 4 city (London, Manchester, Edinburgh & Birmingham) targets those that have attended the Windows 8 for Application Developers events and wish to further explore and learn about Windows 8 development in an hands-on environment. Again, our Windows 8 Champs will be delivering hands-on lab materials to fully get developers up to speed with app development.
Registration for these camps will be going live in late March.
London, Wednesday 8th May 2012, Thursday 10th May 2012 & Thursday 17th May 2012 – Coming Soon
Birmingham, Monday 21st May 2012 – Coming Soon
Manchester, Wednesday 23 May 2012 – Coming Soon
Edinburgh, Friday 25th May 2012 – Coming Soon
UK Tech.Days @ DevWeek 2012
DevWeek conference in London and will be evangelizing Windows Azure, Windows Phone and Visual Studio & ALM offerings. Check out our presence at DevWeek 2012. Tickets are still available for your customers/partners for this year’s conference - 26-30 March 2012.
Last week, Moodle Rooms announced that the updated plug in will be available to the Moodle community beginning February 23rd.
I just wanted to highlight the great work done by Moodle Rooms in developing this plug in and providing it to the Moodle community as it offers the following functionality
- Log into courses using their Windows Live ID and display select Live Services on a Moodle site.
- View and compose emails and calendar events within a Moodle site using Outlook® Live
- Access Windows Live Messenger chat and Bing™ search engine within a course.
This will offer huge advantages to those institutions with Moodle and Live@edu user base and will enhance the Moodle teaching and learning experience.
This is a great example of interoperability between Microsoft and open source solutions, something Microsoft strongly supports and will continue to support in the future.
Additional resources and links
- Download - http://moodle.org/plugins/browse.php?list=set&id=11
· Sites: Liveatedu site announces availability of new plug in for moodle
· Blogs: Openness blog and Education Insights
· Twitter: @OpenAtMicrosoft
· Video on the Openness site and Live@edu
- More details on UK Live@edu Blog