“Creating more successful software companies that can achieve global impact requires entrepreneurs and software developers who are driven by vision, curiosity, intelligence and energy.” Gordon Frazer, Managing Director, Microsoft UK, Vice President, Microsoft International.
I was listening to Science Friction on BBC Radio 4 last week and, particularly, the debates around blue skies research against directed research, where applied and practical solutions are envisaged. The discussion about research, ranged from how it is funded to the depletion of the number of industry labs available to take university projects on to mature products and services and also considered changes in government procurement.
Touching, as this does, on entrepreneurship and, in the light of the current economic climate, I thought you might like to look at the third edition of Developing the Future, a report commissioned by Microsoft. I have one hundred copies to give away to academics. As usual there are some regulations we have to adhere to, so please read the terms and conditions at the bottom of this entry carefully.
Here in the Academic Alliance we would like to wish your a very happy and successful New Year!
Developing the Future Terms and Conditions:
1. ELIGIBILITY: This promotion is open to academics in UK universities who are 18 years of age or older at the time of entry.
2. TO ENTER: Simply email your name and full postal address to Allison at firstname.lastname@example.org, and using Developing the Future as your subject line. Once you have emailed Allison, you will automatically be entered into a free prize draw to receive a selection of books.
3. TIMING: This promotion runs from 17:00.00 Friday 2nd January. The closing date for this promotion is 15:00.00 on Wednesday 28th January.
4. SELECTION OF WINNERS: Microsoft will select one hundred winners by random draw in the presence of an independent adjudicator on Friday 30th January 2009. The winner may be required to participate in publicity or advertising.
5. PRIZE: The winners will each receive the third edition of Developing the Future. Prizes are as stated and are non transferable. No cash or other alternatives available. Microsoft reserve the right to substitute prizes of equal or greater value. The prize will be sent to the winners by 15th February.
6. WINNERS LIST: The winners consent to their surname being made publicly available. The winners surname will be available for a period of 2 months after the closing date by 28th January 2009.
7. OTHER: No correspondence will be entered into regarding either this promotion or these Terms and Conditions. In the unlikely event of a dispute, Microsoft’s decision shall be final. Microsoft reserve the right to amend, modify, cancel or withdraw this promotion at any time without notice.
Promoter: Microsoft Limited, Microsoft Campus, Thames Valley Park, Reading, RG6