Microsoft Dynamics CRM UK Blog

CRM news and views from Simon Hutson

Windows Updates For CRM 2011

Windows Updates For CRM 2011

  • Comments 4

Summer & Lightning…

It has been a long time coming, but this morning I was pleasantly surprised to see Windows Update is now being used to deliver CRM 2011 updates. Does this mean the end of Update Rollup releases every 8 weeks? Let’s hope so :-)

image

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Laughing Boy Chestnuts Pre-School

Comments
  • While the Windows Update integration is a nice feature to have, I've yet to see a CRM 2011 update that actually manages to install itself. KB2328285 was available over a week ago for my CRM 2011 Beta Outlook client, but every installation attempte resulted in a mysterious FFFFFFFE error. Today I saw a new update KB2409294 available for the client, but that also gives the same error upon installation.

    There doesn't appear to be any actual KB articles on the contents of these 2 updates. However, the last update has a redirect to a different article KB2421203 that concerns an ASP.NET security vulnerability, so that must be what they're trying to push through Windows Update: support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

  • The installation of KB2409294 installed fine on my demo Hyper-V image today, but it did prompt me for the folder that contained my original CRM 2011 Beta installation files. I wonder if there is a connection between the update failing, and not being to be able to find the original source media.

  • I think I have figured out what the problem is where you get FFFFFFFE error.

    I went to the following folder: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\Install and located the file CRM2011-client-KB2409294-ENU-i386.exe which it seems had to been downloaded by windows update.

    I manually ran the update and received a message about "requires elevation"

    I then right clicked and ran as admin.

    a Dialog poped up and I was able to apply the patch.

    It worked successfully.

    I think that the windows update process didnt run the update file "as admin".

    This is Windows 7 Enterprise...

    They may need to have a look at why this is happening...

  • Thanks for the extra info. I have already raised a bug for the source-madia prompting issue, I will do the same for the elevated permissions issue as well.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Leave a Comment
  • Please add 3 and 1 and type the answer here:
  • Post