One of the most requested features for Live@edu was the ability to have an on-premises messaging system and Outlook Live domain share the same domain suffix. So, for example, I want to keep my staff on premise but outsource my students to Live@edu – but I want to keep them both on the testington.org.uk domain, rather than having students.testington.org.uk and staff.testington.org.uk domains.
With release 3 of Outlook Live this became possibly and easily achievable by using what we call a Shared Address Space. It’s something you need to plan to do from the offset – but if you go into enrolment knowing you want a shared address space, you only have five easy steps to follow! This diagram shows a typical shared namespace setup:
As you can see, the MX records still point to your on premise system and mail is then routed out to the ‘live’ domain. In this example, the five steps are:
1. Enroll the live.contoso.edu domain
2. Add contoso.edu as an accepted domain
3. Configure contoso.edu as an internal relay domain
4. Create Outlook Live accounts with a primary e-mail address in the contoso.edu domain
5. Create an internal relay on on-premise system.
Full instructions on setting up a shared address space can be found by clicking here!