Learn to use Visual Studio, Visual Studio Online, Application Insights and Team Foundation Server to decrease rework, increase transparency into your application and increase the rate at which you can ship high quality software throughout the application lifecycle
More videos »
Quick Response samples provide information directly from Visual Studio ALM Rangers working with the Microsoft Visual Studio Product Group and Microsoft Services, in response to feature gaps to supplement the product and knowledge base information.
Update 2012/11/22 - Please refer to the Quick Response Sample – Visual Studio Extension to support the ALM Rangers Branching and Merging guidance for the latest information and Visual Studio extension support for this quick response sample solution.
It is not simple to implement a consistent branching model as part of team project or team creation process, that complies with the VS TFS Branching and Merging Guide.
Team Foundation Server has extensive support for version control and branching management through the object model. You can create your own solution, using the sample command line tool, in the Quick Response download package.
To use the sample, proceed as follows:
To highlight the team’s passion, vision and reason for the sample solution design, we asked each team member a question.
This quick response sample was part of the “New Deliverable Experience” validation. Read more in Raising the Quality Bar for Tooling (Part 1) and … for Documentation (Part 2).
If I run the tool in the directory which maps to a workspace, does it retrieves collection URL, project and root directory automatically?
And a couple of requests:
1. Could you release binaries?
2. Problem description and proposed resolution are too succinct. It's not clear how the tool helps in branching.
3. Could you make screenshots a little bigger, hardly can read them?
Paul, thank you for the candid feedback!
0. No, the tool does not perform the auto detection. Great feature which I will raise with the team for future consideration.
1. For the "quick" response sample solutions we cannot release binaries as this would require us to go through an additional quality and signing process, which would not allow us to release these samples "quickly". The community, however, creates tooling based on these quick response samples and they are releasing binaries, for example blogs.msdn.com/.../community-tfs-team-tools-released-on-codeplex.aspx, which is based on our blogs.msdn.com/.../quick-response-sample-command-line-utility-to-manage-team-foundation-server-teams-and-users.aspx quick response sample.
2. The intent of the sample solution is to demonstrate an example of how to build tooling that helps you easily create the initial branching model, as outlined in the vsarbranchingguide.codeplex.com guide.
3. We will ensure the quality is better in future posts. In the meantime take a peek at blogs.msdn.com/.../faq-tfsbranchtool-how-do-i-customi-s-z-e-a-tfs-branching-scenario-plan.aspx which has similar images. Click on those to get bigger, crisper images.
Hope that helps!