Learn to use Visual Studio, Visual Studio Online, Application Insights and Team Foundation Server to decrease rework, increase transparency into your application and increase the rate at which you can ship high quality software throughout the application lifecycle
A common pain point for today’s development teams is procuring and testing the plethora of devices modern applications are now running on. To ensure the highest quality for their business-critical mobile apps, development teams require robust mobile testing solutions that address the complexities of multi-platform development in a highly fragmented mobile market. While solving just this problem would be “nice”, without integration back into the over-all application lifecycle a silo solution simply wouldn’t enable the agility and release intervals demanded by todays’ markets.
In a nut shell most development teams are or will be seeing the following problems when taking their applications to the device market:
- How to develop and test mobile products on a huge variety of REAL devices across carriers and geographies (i.e., device governance)
- How to leverage and extend existing ALM investments in tools, processes and resources to the mobile space (for source code management, continuous integration, deployments, monitoring and more)
- How to develop efficient mobile test automation based on device-agnostic and platform-agnostic scripting (as well as exploratory testing)
To meet the distinct challenges of mobile ALM (described above), Microsoft has partnered with Perfecto Mobile to provide seamless mobile development and testing extensions to Team Foundation Server based on Perfecto Mobile’s MobileCloud™ platform. Perfecto Mobile's unique cloud-based approach to mobile quality enablement, based on real devices and powerful automation capabilities, complements Microsoft's vision for and end-to-end mobile ALM.
This integrated solution enables enterprise developers and testers to quickly ramp up mobile activities in their existing visual studio environment, leveraging existing investment in tools, people, knowledge and processes.
Perfecto Mobile offers a cloud-based solution with thousands of REAL devices located securely around the world. This cloud-based approach is the most efficient way to ensure enterprise-grade solution that supports device governance, offshoring, security and scalability.
With Perfecto Mobile’s Visual Studio Templates development teams can easily extend product builds and manual and automated testing to 1000’s of devices from their existing Team Foundation Servers installations. This means, that any development team can use TFS to manage Windows 8, Android and iOS versions of a business application, while testing each version on the relevant set of real devices in the MobileCloud.
Benefits of Using Perfecto Mobile's Cloud-Based Solution
I was lucky enough to spend some time with members of the Perfecto Mobile development team and some of their benefits were readily apparent:
· Develop mobile products and test them on REAL mobile devices around the world
· Implement continuous integration across the organization which enable development, build, deployment and testing in a managed, scheduled and automated manner
· Assure high service quality across various mobile platforms and devices with a device-agnostic testing solution (Perfecto Mobile patented ScriptOnce™)
· Run exploratory manual testing on real devices (e.g., tests that involves incoming call or SMS during application run )
· Flexibility to develop and run unit testing on real devices and/or emulators in a scalable cloud based solution
· Enable domain experts to setup and administer the multitude of mobile platforms apps and services in the MobileCloud
· Collaboration and offshoring using real devices is done seamlessly through the MobileCloud
· Hardware based solution that enables all of the mobile E2E ALM activities without the need to jail-break/root your target devices.
· Provide management with detailed, high quality and rich media reports using Perfecto’s enhanced reporting suite that includes video and image-based reports.
Microsoft is now able to provide development teams a unique, cloud-based solution for mobile application development, testing and monitoring through the integration of Perfecto Mobile's industry-leading MobileCloud Platform. This end-to-end, cloud-based solution for mobile ALM enables enterprises to seamlessly extend their existing TFS environment to mobile, enabling them to develop higher quality apps and deploy them with confidence.
Sounds amazing...so when is Microsoft buying Perfecto out?
Yep, It is way cool!
Selfishly I hope we don't buy Perfecto...Their innovation, agility and expertise on non Microsoft platforms is as you said "amazing" and i wouldn't want to jeopardize any of that edge for customers looking for a best of breed (regardless of the OS) cloud based device testing.
Thanks for reading!
that's great, is there any hands-on document to quickly dive into details?
I was reading that they are using Jailbroken devices and it's against our company policy.
Do you know if it's true?
@Ramesh - they used to jailbreak iOS devices, but they no longer do that, see blog.perfectomobile.com/.../perfecto-mobile-introduces-full-featured-non-rooted-ios-mobile-testing-in-the-cloud.
MobileTester thanks I have seen that.
It's probably not part of the evaluation, as all the devices I can get access to are Jailbroken.
Do you know how I can get access to Non-Jailbroken devices?
We've been developing our mobile quality management strategy for the past year. It presents new challenges that we never had to deal with before in terms of regression , nightly builds on multiple devices in our target networks. Everybody knows Perfecto Mobile but having them integrated inside VS ALM is essential (it ROCKS!)
Charles I would love it if you shared more content and best practices about mobile application testing.
Perfecto offers iOS which are non jailbreak AND do not require any external library or source compilation that changes the original app source code. Unique to their MobileCloud platform
I have a similar job in hand for which I either need to automate testing of windows mobile or emulator. All my R & D till date has been waste. Any pointers to the solution will be highly appreciated m
Perfecto is using Jail Broken Devices (iOS). It's not possible to record at object level without jail breaking. In fact there is not a single company as of right now who is provind any solution at object level without Jail breaking. Only alternate is to use XCode.
Testing is the most important component after development of the application. New domains are explored and one of them is the Mobile application Testing domain. Different applications are developed for the different Smartphone’s like iPhone, BlackBerry, Android and Symbian applications. Companies are investing large amount of money in this specific sector. From last few years mobile applications are used b almost all the people on their mobile phones. People use this application not only for their personal use but also for the business purposes. Customers are demanding more and more mobile applications due to which companies are focusing to develop applications for mobiles. When the mobile application is developed it becomes very much necessary to test it so that we can come to know that how the application is performing on all the devices. We test from the end user perspective. Mobile Application testing helps to find out the gaps that are hindering the user. There are different types testing under mobile application testing which are functional testing, performance testing, usability, compatibility, load and stress testing etc.
nice one, thanks for sharing!!