Feedback we have been getting is that the awareness around the Visual Studio ALM Rangers guidance is that not too many people know about this guidance … so I have decided to start a short series of posts to re-introduce the new guidance projects and highlight some of the nuggets. Probably the most important point to make, is that the guidance is a combined effort by the Rangers, which includes contributors from Microsoft, Microsoft Most Valued Professionals (MVP), Microsoft Partners and Community Leads and therefore delivers ingredients from a vast variety of operational environments, view points and locations around the globe … in short, we have the perfect recipe and ingredients for an out-of-band solution, to deliver maximum value add to the community.
Visual Studio 2010 Quick Reference Guidance (extract from our Codeplex site)
- Visual Studio 2010 Quick Reference Guidance
- Welcome to the Visual Studio 2010 Quick Reference Guidance! Steven van Niekerk (Technical Lead / Architect, BB&D South-Africa) initiated this project with his question “Can you tell me about TFS and VSTS in 5 minutes?”
- The Visual Studio 2010 Quick Reference Guidance consists of compact cheat sheets for Team Foundation Server (TFS) 2010 and Visual Studio (VS) 2010, addressing the core problem of teams in the field who are unaware of Visual Studio and Team Foundation Server capabilities or have little time to invest in detailed education.
- The artefacts include an overview document and poster that allows you to quickly focus on individual areas like testing, by providing crisp and compact guidance sheets and quick reference posters. You can take these to your 5-min coffee break discussions or use them as a stepping stone to the more detailed and in-depth guidance you will find on MSDN.
- Visual Studio ALM Rangers
- This guidance is created by the Rangers who have the mission to provide out of band solutions for missing features or guidance. This content was created with support from Microsoft Product Group, Microsoft Most Valued Professionals (MVPs) and technical specialists from technology communities around the globe, giving you a real-world view from the field, where the technology has been tested and used.
Nuggets contained in the guidance
Lots of guidance sheets, which can be taken to the next coffee break for a 5-min discussion around the various feature areas of Visual Studio 2010 and Team Foundation Server 2010.
… any many more …
Quick Reference Posters, which supplement the quick reference sheets, are great as reference posters or to use as colourful and interesting wallpaper :)
… three examples of many more posters …
Interested? If yes, visit us on Codeplex at http://vs2010quickref.codeplex.com/ and download the guidance today!
In part 2, we will take a look at the VM Ranger factory and Virtualization guidance …