An update …
Back in January the Visual Studio ALM Rangers shipper a wave of new guidance, which we have been revising and upgrading on an ongoing basis. The intention was to deliver guidance as early as possible to the early adopters for Visual Studio and Team Foundation Server 2010.
- Visual Studio 2010 Quick Reference Guidance
- Steven van Niekerk (Technical Lead / Architect, BB&D South-Africa) initiated this project with his question “Can you tell me about TFS and VSTS in 5 minutes?”
- The Visual Studio 2010 Quick Reference Guidance consists of compact cheat sheets for Team Foundation Server (TFS) 2010 and Visual Studio (VS) 2010, addressing the core problem of teams in the field who are unaware of Visual Studio and Team Foundation Server capabilities or have little time to invest in detailed education.
- Visual Studio 2010 TFS Upgrade Guide
- Covers scenarios which may be encountered during and after the upgrade process. It provides examples of most common and potential issues. It covers scenarios related to general Upgrade Process, Work Item Templates, Reports, and Enterprise TFS Management (ETM). Although this guide refers to TFS 2008 scenarios, almost all the concepts apply also to TFS 2005.
- Visual Studio Team Foundation Server Branching Guide 2010
- Insightful and practical guidance around branching and merging with Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010. The new release focuses on Hands on Labs and includes lots of lessons learnt from the community Q&A.
- Visual Studio 2010 Team Foundation Server Requirements Management Guidance
- Addresses the People, Process, and Technology guidance for Requirements Engineering (RE) using Team Foundation Server.
- The goal of this guidance is to provide formalized Microsoft field experience in the form of recommended procedures and processes, Visual Studio Team System and Team Foundation Server configurations, and skill development references for the Requirements Engineering discipline of your application lifecycle.
- Visual Studio 2010 and Team Foundation Server 2010 VM Factory
- Visual Studio 2010 VM Factory is the reference implementation of a software solution that automates the creation of Visual Studio 2010 and Team Foundation Server 2010 virtualized environments.
- The purpose of this project is to build prescriptive guidance around virtualization of the Visual Studio 2010 and guidance for full automation of the creation of virtual machines using the VM Factory.
- The goal is to help users with the installation and configuration of virtualized environments with least effort and maximum automation.
In addition the following guidance was recently published:
To full embrace the exciting new Visual Studio 2010 product, the following guidance will be published shortly:
- Visual Studio 2010 Database Guidance
- This project will provide guidance to help customers successfully adopt the new features introduced in the GDR and VS2010. This guidance will go above and beyond the product documentation and will be based on real world best practices from expert customers and the Microsoft field.
- Visual Studio 2010 Architecture Tooling Guidance
- The Visual Studio 2010 Architecture Tooling Guidance is a paradigm shift in application design and development. The best practices are unknown at this stage, which means that the field, customers and partners have a hard time figuring out how to leverage tools and features effectively. This project will provide guidance for Visual Studio 2010 based on real world best practices from PG SMEs and Visual Studio ALM Rangers to help customers successfully adopt the new features.
- The guidance will include three hands-on-labs, focused on reverse engineering and extensibility.
- Here are a few sneak previews …
If you are interested in any of the above solutions or other Rangers solutions, please refer to Rangers Solutions and Projects. Also remember to please give us candid feedback on the Rangers solutions and suggestions for future stop-gap-solutions needed by “you” in the field.
In addition the navigation bar on the right contains links the latest solution under news for your convenience.