I recently came across several resources that are available from Microsoft to help developers get their applications ready and shining on Windows 7! Since these resources are scattered in several places, I thought it would be beneficial to have a post with a compilation of these. So here you go…
1. Training Kit for Developers (Windows 7 RTM version)
This kit includes presentations, hands-on labs, and demos designed to help you learn how to build applications that are compatible with and shine on Windows 7 by utilizing key Windows 7 features. You can find topics such as: Taskbar, Sensor and Location, Libraries and Shell, DirectX, Multi-touch, Ribbon, etc. The kit is built for both native Win32 C++ developers and .NET developers. The kit also includes Application Compatibility labs for: Version Checking, Data Redirection, UIPI, Installer Detection, Session 0 Isolation, and High DPI, to help you get over the most common application compatibility issues.
Available for download on Microsoft download center.
2. Application Quality Cookbook
This Cookbook provides you with the means to become familiar with how to verify the compatibility of your applications with the new operating system and provides an overview of the few known application incompatibility issues in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. But more than that, it also points out differences in performance, reliability, and usability, and provides links to detailed white papers and other developer guidance.
You can download the complete version (available in .docx and .xps formats) of the Application Quality Cookbook from its location on Code Gallery.
3. Developer Guide
The Windows 7 platform makes it easy for developers to create engaging, user-friendly applications by providing familiar tools and rich development features that allow them to take advantage of the latest PC capabilities. This guide summarizes the key developer advances in each of the following three areas:
· Solid Foundation
· Richer Application Experiences
· The Best of Windows and the Web
You can download the Windows 7 version of the Developer Guide (available in .docx and .xps formats) from its location on Code Gallery.
4. Application Compatibility
If you are facing Compatibility problems with your applications on Windows 7, here are some excellent application compatibility resources to get you started!
· Application Compatibility Factory (ACF) Program – Helps customers identify and resolve potential compatibility issues they may face when migrating desktops and applications to Windows 7.
· Windows XP to Windows 7 Migration – Tools and resources available from Microsoft to help you each step along the way when migrating from a Windows XP environment to Windows 7.
· Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.5 – contains the necessary tools and documentation to evaluate and mitigate application compatibility issues before deploying Windows 7.
· Win7 App Compat FAQ for developers
· MSDN forum Application Compatibility for Windows Development
5. The Windows 7 Blog for Developers
A blog focusing mainly on the developer aspects of Windows 7.
[Author: Zainab Hakim]This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm.