Last night we stayed 17 hours at work trying to figure out why we can't load the remoted server with more than 250 Remote calls per sec.

we had a server running which called another server thru remoting.

we could get the 2nd server to load, we even tried more than 1 web server at the time.

it seemed we had a bottleneck somewhere in the 2nd server which led us to believe Remoting had a limit.

on every hit we've noticed 10 times Remoting Calls, we were sure no more than 1 remoting call is performed from the page for every hit.

we debugged some more, and we dicovbered that because the 2nd server exposes it's Com+ objects thru remoting and calls inner com+ objects , the total number of calls is greater than we anticipated,

a small test (replacing all the Serviced compoenent with MarshalByRef) did decrease the number of remoted calls.

but still we couldn't find why we can't get more than 250 calls/sec and the CPU was not loaded.

we wrote a small remoting Server that returned the time,

tried to hit it thru (iis6 and 5.1) , both of them died after 30 sec. of full stress,

but even for the 30 sec there was no serious stress on the Remoted server.

I thought it was connected to the ThreadPool (that has a limitation of 25 threads per CPU) knowing that remoting is using the ThreadPool, I've add more thread (with the help of Thread Pool Control Sample from )

still nothing, it didn;t help, we tried to chnage the server WorkerThreads thru the machine.config and still nothing.

last but not least we wrote a winform client that calls the remoted server,

and then..... we got about 2000 hits per sec.....

seems like the real bottleneck was