You can download Windows 8 Consumer Preview and Visual Studio 11 (beta) here.

clip_image002[1] clip_image004[1] clip_image006[1] clip_image008[1] clip_image010[1] clip_image012[1]

I ran into an error with Visual Studio 11 beta while debugging and deploying a Windows 8 app locally. See the error msg below. This happened to me more than once when I copied a finished app and copied it to a different folder. I didn’t have any error after making changes and debugging the new app. But once a while, I could receive the error with the new app (and even with the original app.) Looking at the error msg, I suspect if the error has something to do with the package name and what’s been deployed at my dev machine. (I will find out if this is a known issue and/or any precise explanation, and share it with an update.) So how do you fix it?

Error    1    Error : DEP0600 : The following unexpected error occurred during deployment:
Illegal characters in path.
   at System.IO.Path.CheckInvalidPathChars(String path, Boolean checkAdditional)
   at System.IO.Path.Combine(String path1, String path2)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ImmersiveProjectServices.Shared.AppxLayoutManager.CheckPackageLayoutState(DeployPackageName deployPackageName, String location)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ImmersiveProjectServices.Shared.LocalDeployJob.GetLayoutState(DeployPackageName deployName, Boolean hasFrameworkDependencies)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ImmersiveProjectServices.Shared.RegisterAppxLayout.Start(Boolean forceNewLayout, Boolean forceRegistration, NetworkLoopbackState desiredNetworkLoopbackState, Boolean refreshLayoutOnly, String& packageMoniker, String& firstUserAppID, Exception& deployException)    WindowsBlogReaderCS

image

A quick fix to the issue is that you create a new GUID from within VS 11, and copy it (without curly brackets), 78E29F9C-2EFA-42D7-A53F-D331A7CD78D3. Alternatively, you can create a new package name by creating a new app and copy the new app’s package name.

 image

Open the Package.appxmanifest file and replace the package name with the new GUID. This should fix the deployment issue.

image

Happy Coding! You can find my other Windows 8 Developer How To posts here.