I just got back from vacation and right before I left my washing machine broke down. It wouldn't pump the water out of the tub (it was doing a constant beeping...and then when I unplugged it, let it set for 90 seconds and then plugged it back in, the pump would try to pump but you just heard the motor straining). This is a Fisher Paykel EcoSmart washer which we have had someone come out to repair too many times already and usually they are gone in less than 10 minutes or so after I spend 5 of the 10 minutes writing a $200 check.
So I decided to try and tackle the problem myself. The first thing I did was throw all the clothes in the washing room sink next to it and shucked all the water out with a big cup. After I did this I remembered one problem I had previously where a big plastic bag managed to slip underneath the washer and got caught around the big spinning motor until it eventually wouldn't spin. So I managed to tip it back so I could look underneath it but everything looked fine.
Then I pulled off the soap dispenser top, reached down the middle of the agitator and unscrewed the plastic winged nut that holds the agitator in place. Then I lifted the agitator out. Nothing seemed unusual. Nothing wrapped around the agitator gears or anything like that (of course if you are an appliance repair person then you are probably already yelling....IT'S THE PUMP! IT'S THE PUMP!).
But I'm not an appliance repair person.
So now I figured that it was time to open the cover. I couldn't figure out how to open the top. There are clips on the back that I thought you might have to unhook but there was something holding the front together and the clips in back looked suspiciously like a hinge mechanism. I finally gave up and went to my friend, the Internet...only really looking to find out how to open the top cover.
That is when I found this.
This was exactly the solution to my problem! And it was so easy to follow. So just in case the link dies for some reason, here is the fantastic information that saved me $200 along with my own notes inserted in italics.
Thanks James and howtomendit.com. I definitely ran an empty hot water load since there was water that sat there for almost a week and was quite foul smelling by the time I got to work on this.
But now everything is working like a dream! I'm on a hardware high!
[Update! Well, I thought everything was running just fine. I'm pretty sure at one point water was pumped out of the machine, but then I ran into the same problem. So I did everything again to open her up and had to do step 8 this time...low and behold I found a rubber band. This time, it did work like a dream after removing the rubber band]