Visual Studio 2005 SP1 released

Visual Studio 2005 SP1 released

• Comments 57

The Visual C++ team is excited to announce the release of Visual Studio 2005 SP1!!!  The Service pack launched on Friday December 15, 2006 and is available for download here: VS2005SP1   This SP addresses issues that were found through a combination of customers and partner feedback, as well as internal testing. There are over 400 Visual C++ bugs that have been fixed with issues ranging in severity from minor syntax highlighting problems to customer reported crashes across various scenarios. In some areas, more than 50% of the bugs addressed were reported by customers through the MSDN Product Feedback Center and Microsoft Connect. Overall, Service Pack 1 offers customers improvements in responsiveness, stability and performance for Visual Studio 2005.

Service Pack 1 also provides over 70 improvements for common development scenarios including:

• New processor support (e.g., Core Duo) for code generation and profiling
  • Performance and scale improvements in Team Foundation Server
  • Team Foundation Server integration with Excel 2007 and Project 2007
  • Tool support for occasionally connected devices and SQL Server Compact Edition
  • Additional support for project file based Web applications
  • Windows Embedded 6.0 platform and tools support

For developers using Visual Studio 2005 on Windows Vista, Microsoft is in current development on an update to Service Pack 1 called the ‘Visual Studio 2005 SP1 Vista Refresh Beta’. This update builds on the improvements made in SP1 and delivers a first class experience for developers wanting to take advantages of the new features in Windows Vista. The Visual Studio 2005 SP1 Update for Windows Vista is expected to ship after the consumer availability of Windows Vista in Q1 of 2007 and is now available in beta.

• I just found out that our dll is using boost libs and they ware build using Visual Studio 2005 with no service pack.

After recompiling the boost (with VS2005 SP1) it works OK.

• How to add .C file in VS 2005 with my existing Application .

thanks

sabari

• This question, "Does SP1 include a new VC++ redistributables package (vcredist_x86)?," was asked before, but I guess I waited long enough for a response so I'll try again:

Does VS2005 SP1 include a new VC++ redistributables package (vcredist_x86)?

I am trying to install myapp.exe (compiled on a computer that has VS2005 SP1) on a total new computer which doesn't have any trace of VS2005 and I get error messages.  Are there runtime dlls (redistributables packages) that I can include in my compilation of myapp.exe that will prevent these errors?

• Hi Shahid

The file is located in folder:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\BootStrapper\Packages\vcredist_x86\

I have the VS Standard Edition installed but I think it is not installed when you use the Express Edition.

In addition there is no direct link (AFAIK)  from Microsoft to download this package.

• Visual Studio 2005 (Standard) Service Pack 1 seems to have introduced a problem in CEditView.  My application uses a view class derived from CEditView and will crash when print previewing this view.  The SuperPad example application available from MS exhibits the same problem when recompiled with SP1 for Win32 (Debug or Release).  Some characters must be entered into the SuperPad view first and then selecting print preview results in the crash.

The crash is due to an assignment to an unassigned pointer (pnCurDelta) in CPreviewDC::ComputeDeltas() (dcprev.cpp line 604 - "*pnCurDelta = mAttrib.tmAveCharWidth;").

Are you familiar with this issue?

• Hello.

I tried relinking CRT library and error occurrs during it. This error occcurrs due to -wx witch (warnings as errors). If this switch is erased,

relinking is stopped due to *.obj is missing. I am beginner in nmake script syntax.

Can you help me, please.

---------------------------------  problem ---------------------------------

Generating Code...

cl -D_CRT_NOFORCE_MANIFEST -D_STL_NOFORCE_MANIFEST  -O1 -Zi -Wp64 -D_X86_ -I.

-Fobuild\intel\mt_obj\ intel\fp8.c

fp8.c

link -lib -nologo -wx -out:build\intel\mt_obj\startup.lib

@build\intel\mt_obj\startup.rsp

wincrt0.obj : warning LNK4006: __aenvptr already defined in wwincrt0.obj;

second definition ignored

LINK : error LNK1218: warning treated as error; no output file generated

--------------------------------- End of

recompiling ------------------------

Generating Code...

cl -D_CRT_NOFORCE_MANIFEST -D_STL_NOFORCE_MANIFEST  -O1 -Zi -Wp64 -D_X86_ -d1Binl

-EHsc -GR -Istdhpp -I. -Fobuild\intel\mt_obj\cpp_obj\ /TP strftime.c

st, I 31 2007 10:17:44             build\intel\mt_obj\misc.lib

pá, XII 01 2006 22:54:18             build\intel\mt_obj\rtc.lib

build\intel\mt_obj\startup.lib target

does not exist

Thank for your help.

BEST regards Honza.

• With Visual 2005 SP1 you need to have the redist sp1 for redist your appz.

I've found it here, nothing on Microsoft download center... Maybee avalaible in Pro version of VC 2005 SP1 ?

• We NEED the vcredist_x86-sp1.exe and vcredist_x64-sp1.exe available in Microsoft's downloads page omg!

Also there is a problem when you create a Windows Installer project... It appears the x64 VS runtime DLLs version is not launched correctly.

pls solve it

• HI,

Binaries compiled with VS8 (and dynamically linked) will not run on target machines unless new runtimes are installed. We have concluded that we need to run vcredist_x86.exe upon installation to make them run. We have not found any mention of this in the SP1 release notes http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=928957 , nor in the bug fix list: http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/content/content.aspx?ContentID=4324

So we need to know:

* is running  vcredist_x86.exe the recommended way to do this?

* Do we need elevated privileges on Vista to run it?

* Will it work on all Vista versions?

Also we wonder, if for some reason, we wish to avoid using this installer what would be an alternaitive way? We have found that simply copying all DLLs and mainfest files in that MSI archive to the local directory is not enough. (It was ok prior to SP1) What else needs to be done now?

Thanks a million

Adam

• I found this as well, and obe way round it is to go to Solution/Properties/C/C++/Code Generation and set the 'Runtime Library' field to 'Multi-threaded (/MT)' or 'Multi-threaded Debug (/MTd)' rather than 'Multi-threaded DLL (/MD)' or 'Multi-threaded Debug DLL (/MDd)'.

This does bloat your final app by including all the required run-time, but does mean it will run without needing the redist package.

Wim

• Hi,

I upgraded from VS2005 to VS 2005 SP1. My application uses a static

library (compiled on VS 2005) provided by a 3rd party vendor. Even

after upgrading to SP1, I am able to successfully link to this

library. But, the resultant binary cannot execute and gives a runtime

error:

The application failed to start because the application configuration

is incorrect. Re-installing the application may fix the problem.

The system event log says:

Syntax error in manifest or policy file Microsoft.VC80.CRT.MANIFEST on

line 11

Anyone can suggest a solution for this?

• I've read this thread with interest but I'm still not certain why I can't redistribute my app. I'm using MSVC 2005 pro with SP1 installed. To deploy on a machine without msdev I run vcredist_86.exe and copy across the relevant processor-specific files to the root of the folder with my exe as described: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235291(VS.80).aspx (Deploying Visual C++ library DLLs as private assemblies)

Problem is; the release version of my exe runs, and the debug version doesn't. I need to run the debug version for internal testing. When I run the debug version I get the dreaded "The application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix the problem" error.

I've had a look at the event viewer at the debug app that failed to run and I find the error "Syntax error in manifest or policy file "C:\testapp\Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT\Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT.manifest" on line 4. This is odd, as I got it from the MSVC vcredist folder.

I've installed the latest redist package on the target machine http://www.apachelounge.com/download/vcredist_x86-sp1.exe

As I've said the release version works fine, the debug doesn't.

Thanks in advance for any help ;)

• If you are using /MD or /MDd (multi-threaded DLL <debug>) and linking to a third-party lib try to have the third-party compile the lib with the same version of Visual Studio you are using.

When they compiled with VS2005 and you use VS2005 SP1 the manifest has Microsoft.VC80.CRT listed twice.  Once with version 8.0.50727.762 (coming from your compiler) and once with 8.0.50608.0 (coming from the thirdy-party lib).  Everything will work correctly if you have run vcredist_x86-sp1.exe or used the merge module because they install 8.0.50727.762.policy file (known as a Publisher configuration file) that redirect previous versions of Microsoft.VC80.CRT to use the current version (gets installed in C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\Policies\...).  If you haven't run vcredist_x86-sp1.exe then it is being directed to load two version of the Microsoft.VC80.CRT and it doesn't have any information about what dll's to load for 8.0.50608.0.

Since getting third-party to recompile is not alway possible, other solution I'm looking into.

Don't have Visual Studion embed the manifest into the dll so I can create my own manifest with only the newest version then use mt.exe to embed it myself.  (don't want to depend on distributed manifest file for a couple reasons:  Want more control for when other developers use our dll's so get loaded using their exe and different OS's handle the external manifest differently)

Edit the Microsoft.VC80.CRT.manifest file I put locally so both versions are reflected (haven't quite figured if and how to do that yet,  was looking to see if anyone else had the answer when I came across this thread).

I don't think local .policy files can be used but searching the web to make sure.

Other notes:

On Vista there is a new tool sxstrace.exe that is very useful in tracking these issues out.  When I get a chance I'm going to look for a version for other OS's.

MikeM.  vcredist_x86-sp1.exe only install release dll's not debug.  (includes msvcr80.dll, msvcp80.dll and msvcm80.dll: not msvcr80d.dll, msvcp80d.dll and msvcm80d.dll) So no you cannot run debug version on a machine that only hav vcredist_x86-sp1.exe.

• Finished the upgrade to VS2005, and I've got to say I am presently disappointed in this product. I want to distribute a simple command line tool to the field. It works OK under test, since the manifest file is in the same directory as the exe. However, if the exe is run on another machine, it complains that the CRT was improperly loaded and fails. So, I thought, well let's embedd the manifest in the exe and be done with it right? Wrong! Now I get a build error:

error PRJ003: Error spawning 'cmd.exe'.

This goes away if I don;t embedd the manifest, but then I have to distribute the XMl file with the exe, which I don;t want to do...

Any Ideas?

• Don't waste your time looking for sxstrace for other os's. According to one MS blog, you are out of luck if you don't run Vista.

Blog Link